Before the Season
- Make sure you have proof of successful completion of CPR, AED, and Heimlich certification courses and suicide prevention training.
- Learn the rules of the game. Buy a book, video or take the NFHS volleyball coaching class. Get a mentor, go watch a college practice or ask the AD.
- Join IHSVCA coaches’ association and become active. See District and Region alignments. Meet your District and/or Region Representatives. They are your “go-to” mentors.
- Get to know your equipment. This includes your net system, antennas, ball cart, balls, basketball hoops and ball inflator.
- Like us on Facebook (Indiana High School Volleyball Coaches Association) and follow us on Twitter (@IHSVCA). Encourage your players and parents to do the same!
- Plan your practices. Write out a detailed practice plan. Include times and diagrams of the drills you want to do. 60-70% of your practice should be passing and serving. If your team can’t do these skills the rest is pointless.
- Get to know your team. Begin to evaluate your team. Stat a practice. Keep track of the stats. You may need these later when dealing with parents.
- See your athletic director to sign up for MaxPreps at MaxPreps.com. Post your team’s match schedule and roster.
- Coach your Coaches. Give them a job to do during the match.
- Stats. Accurate statistics are very important to give your student athletes and your program credibility. Know what a block and an assist are.
- Report your scores. Win or lose report your scores to the local media and MaxPreps.
- Pregame procedures. Plan an efficient pregame warm up for your team. If you have a public address announcer, type up what you want them to say. You will need an official scorer, libero tracker and statistician. You will also need a roster for your team with numbers and names. Before the match begins you will need to submit your starting lineup.
End of Season Awards – Players
Deadline October 4, 2021
- Academic All-State Award. Nothing gets you into more hot water than missing nominating one of your qualified student-athlete for Academic All-State. Your senior nominees are due on October 4, 2021. Nomination form.
Deadline October 11, 2021
- All-District honors are to recognize the best players in your area of the state (district) for each class. See alignment. The best 12 players in each district will be recognized. Nomination form. The deadline is October 11, 2021.
- All-State nominations are open to any grade level. These players should be the best of the best in each class. The best 14 players in each class will be recognized. Nomination form.
- All-Star nominations are open to juniors and seniors only. Nomination form. Players will be notified if they are invited to tryout from one the six teams: Junior North All-Star, Junior South All-Star, 1A-2A North Senior All-Star, 1A-2A South Senior All-Star, 3A-4A North Senior All-Star and 3A-4A South Senior All-Star.
- Make sure you know when the due dates are for nominations for your conference, league, all county and/or all city honors.
End of Season Awards – Coaches
October 25, 2021