Before the Season
- Make sure you have proof of successful completion of CPR, AED, and Heimlich certification courses and suicide prevention training.
- Learn the rules of the game. Buy a book, video or take the NFHS volleyball coaching class. Get a mentor, go watch a college practice or ask the AD.
- Join IHSVCA coaches’ association and become active. See District and Region alignments. Meet your District and/or Region Representatives. They are your “go-to” mentors.
- Get to know your equipment. This includes your net system, antennas, ball cart, balls, basketball hoops and ball inflator.
- Like us on Facebook (Indiana High School Volleyball Coaches Association) and follow us on Twitter (@IHSVCA). Encourage your players and parents to do the same!
- Plan your practices. Write out a detailed practice plan. Include times and diagrams of the drills you want to do. 60-70% of your practice should be passing and serving. If your team can’t do these skills the rest is pointless.
- Get to know your team. Begin to evaluate your team. Stat a practice. Keep track of the stats. You may need these later when dealing with parents.
- See your athletic director to sign up for MaxPreps at MaxPreps.com. Post your team’s match schedule and roster.
- Coach your Coaches. Give them a job to do during the match.
- Stats. Accurate statistics are very important to give your student athletes and your program credibility. Know what a block and an assist are.
- Report your scores. Win or lose report your scores to the local media and MaxPreps.
- Pregame procedures. Plan an efficient pregame warm up for your team. If you have a public address announcer, type up what you want them to say. You will need an official scorer, libero tracker and statistician. You will also need a roster for your team with numbers and names. Before the match begins you will need to submit your starting lineup.
Below is the list of important dates for the Indiana High School Volleyball Coaches Association and the IHSAA. Please note the deadlines for each award. You can nominate at any time up to the deadline date listed. You MUST be a member of the IHSVCA to nominate players and no late nominations will be accepted.
- IHSAA Moratorium Week – July 1 – 7
- IHSVCA State Coaches Clinic- July 23rd @ Cathedral HS
- IHSAA official start of fall practices- Monday, July 31
- First official IHSAA contest- Saturday, August 12
- IHSAA Tournament entry deadline- Monday, September 25
- IHSAA Sectional Tournament Pairings Show- Sunday, October 1, 8 pm ET/7 pm CT, streamed on IHSAAtv.org hosted by Greg Rakestraw. Please share images of your team gathering with us @IHSVCA and @IHSAAVB.
- IHSAA Sectional dates- October 10, 12, 14
- IHSAA Regional date- Saturday, October 21
- IHSAA Semi-State date- Saturday, October 28
- IHSVCA State Banquet- Friday, November 3
- IHSAA State Finals- Saturday, November 4
- IHSVCA All-Star Tryouts- Sunday, November 12
- IHSVCA All-Star Matches- Sunday, November 19
2023 AWARD DEADLINES:
October 2 Deadline
- IHSVCA Academic All-State Nominations due https://ihsvca.com/awards/student-athlete/academic-all-state/
October 9 Deadline
- All-District/All-State/All-Star nomination form link: https://ihsvca.com/register/all-districtall-stateall-star/
- Support Staff Academic All-State Nominations due https://ihsvca.com/awards/student-athlete/academic-all-state/
October 23 Deadline
- District Coach of the Year nomination form link: https://ihsvca.com/register/district-coach-of-the-year
- State Coach of the Year nomination form link: https://ihsvca.com/register/state-coach-of-the-year/
- Assistant Coach of the Year nomination link: https://ihsvca.com/register/assistant-coach-of-the-year/
November 13 Deadline– Victory Club/Program Milestone/Coach